01 November 2011

Waiting on Part

The new locking nut wasn't shipped until today -- should arrive tomorrow -- but I'm not sure about the tool yet. I need a special tool to tighten the nut enough to keep it from vibrating loose.

I may try to realign the engine as well. I think I can use epoxy to hold the mounts in place -- the runners are either rotted or just wallowed out and the lag bolts won't hold, at least on a couple of them. I may not be able to get it perfectly aligned, but I think I can make it better than it is now.

Anchor watch:

If you read Roger's post concerning the high winds we got the other night, you no doubt recognized the reference to me. Based on his telling of the story, his suggestion I put out a stern anchor kept me off the rocks.

Well, that's completely untrue. In fact, it was the stern anchor that kept me beam to the 50 knot gusts when the wind shifted to the north, and caused my bow anchor to drag. The stern anchor didn't drag, but neither did it hold me, we just swung on it like a pendulum until the wind abated and my bow anchor reset.

Had I not put out the stern anchor, I would have been bow to the wind, and the anchor would have held, just as it did during the hurricane. Or it would have slowly dragged and given me a chance to start the engine, hold position, and put out more scope. With an anchor off the bow and the stern, the engine was useless. I just had to ride it out, and hope for the best.

So, his "patting himself on the back," is pure BS. He knows that, but gets paid to write about sailing, so maybe he figures telling the whole truth might hurt his bottom line. Anyway, no one was hurt, and I learned another valuable lesson, or two.

By the way, the original problem, for which he suggested the stern anchor, was that a couple boats had just anchored south of me which meant I wouldn't have enough room to swing once the wind shifted. I told them that, but they ignored me -- lots of people out here seem to think they know everything. Instead of taking Roger's advice and putting out the stern anchor, I should have moved. That was the correct solution, and I take full responsibility for not doing the right thing.

The rest of Roger's description is more or less correct, however, he neglected to mention he almost dragged as well. He barely got his stern anchor eased and to the bow in time -- I didn't have enough rode to do that, and waited too long. Stern anchors have their place, but this wasn't one of them, and never in a storm.

I think about half the boats, at least four, dragged, and one sustained damage.

Trip watch:

If I get everything tomorrow and get it fixed, I can leave Thursday morning and head up Delaware Bay. However, if the part or tool is late, or it takes me longer to reinstall it or align the engine, then it'll be at least another day.

I've been watching the weather, and it looks like Sunday/Monday is shaping up to be really nice all the way down to Norfolk on the outside. So, if I'm delayed, I may just sit at anchor another couple days and go down outside as originally planned. There are too many unknowns right now, but I'd prefer to go outside.

Zoe watch:

She really likes the marina life. She gets to see lots of people, sun herself on the deck, and take a few walks everyday. I like the hot showers, but since I've been using the extra time rearranging everything, we'll both be more comfortable once we get underway again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers