26 October 2010

Broken Foot

I'm pretty sure I broke a bone on the top of my right foot a couple of weeks ago. It's been two weeks, and it's still sore and swollen. Also, the sole and instep are both blue. There's really not much I can do about it, but standing on a ladder all day scraping caulk sure isn't helping.

It looks like I've got another 15 feet left -- basically the transom and the last 4-5 feet on the starboard side -- which should go pretty quickly, but after the spectacular results from the patch I did last night, I've decided to fix the other two spots in the cockpit today while the weather is still nice. I pulled the clamps off this morning and was pleased to find the patch not only held, but looked really good. However, it wasn't perfect, so I spent about an hour with a block plane and reshaped the splice. Other than the dark epoxy joint, you'd be hard pressed to guess it wasn't like that to begin with.

There's a little split at the port side of the transom, and another set of long splits on the starboard side much like the other set I fixed a couple months ago. I should be able to fix them both at the same time, but I'll finish scrapping the rest of the caulking first. After all of that, I'm not sure if I'll have time to caulk anything today -- I'm already beat.

I'm still hoping to get her into the water this week, but time's running out quickly. In any case, she's starting to look really good. I'll take photos as soon as I can take off the cover (even before I clean and cetol the toerails). I haven't touched the forward hatch yet, so I'll try to get a close up so everyone can see the what the deck looked like before and after -- it's dramatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers