09 October 2010

Slips and Falls

I rolled the "final" primer coat on the forward section late yesterday. I was also able to roll about half the cockpit before running out of paint. I mixed up a pint and thinned it 25% as per the instructions on the can, and tried to be very careful with the roller. I decided to follow the recommendations of the guy at Interlux, and didn't tip it.

Other than a few bubbles, most of which flattened out, it went on pretty smooth. I still need to sand it, but feel much better about this coat than any of the others. Since I only did the touch-ups, it shouldn't need too much sanding. I hope that's all the priming I'll need to do on that portion of the deck. I'm planning on removing the masking tape along the toerails this morning while I do the sanding. Since I didn't pull the tape while it was wet -- too much trouble, even if I could reach it, which I couldn't-- I'll need to use a knife to cut the edge as I pull it up. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a clean edge.

At that point, I'll need to decide if I want to go ahead and re-tape and roll the first finish coat, or caulk the edge first. I wish there was someone around here I could talk to about it, but either way, I should have the first finish coat on that section rolled by tomorrow night. I still have some more work to do on the cockpit, but I'm not going to worry so much about how it looks, I just need to get it covered. I'll redo whatever needs more attention once I get down south.

Injury watch:

It's hard to believe, but I went the whole summer without any major mishaps. However, I did have three in quick succession in the last 48 hours. First, I slipped on the wet grass while walking Zoe and hyper-extended my right wrist. She wanted to visit another dog at the top of a slope, and I slipped on the way back down. It wasn't a big deal, but I was wearing my khakis and didn't want to get them too dirty -- it's too hard to clean things right now. Anyway, I broke my fall and kept my pants clean, but it's not even sore anymore, so I think I came out ahead.

The second and third injuries occurred yesterday, one right after the another. While I was cleaning up the cockpit and vacuuming around the locker hatches, I was balancing one on it's edge and it slipped and landed on my right foot. The foot's okay now, but I might have broken a bone. The last injury happened a little while later when I was climbing up the stairs in the cabin. I was favoring the foot, slipped on one of the treads, and banged my right shin just below the knee.

Although the last one hurt the worst, it turned out to be nothing more than a bad bruise -- of course it still looks a lot worse than the others too. Now, I just need to get out of here before anything else happens.

Zoe watch:

It's a beautiful day, so she's hanging out under the boat. I'll try to walk her a bit during the day, but had to cut short our walk this morning due to my foot. It loosened up during the walk, so now it's just sore -- no limp. But that's a good reminder to be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers