05 November 2010

Clearing Up

It looks like it should clear up this afternoon, so hopefully I can finish the portholes. It's also a lot warmer, which certainly helps. I'm running the heater with the companionway boards out and the hatch open, so I hope that will warm up and dry the deck. The cover's still soaked, so I may have to wait until the sun comes out this afternoon for the humidity to go down below 70%.

Due to high humidity, the caulking didn't go very well yesterday, so I only did the last handrail. I think it will be okay, but if not, I can always redo it. It's the forward one on the starboard side, so I can reach both sides through the opening portholes. I'll tighten them down this weekend and see how it goes. Though I don't think they'll leak, I wasn't happy with the seams.

I was also able to dry-fit the six forward portholes, the ones that open, but haven't taped them yet -- I'll do that this morning while I'm waiting for the sun. However, I did discover that the six dozen bolts vary in length, so I'm going to have to go through the same drill I did with the handrails and try to figure out where each one goes. If it's too short, that's easy, just grab a longer one -- they vary by about 1/8 - 1/4" -- but I also have to make sure they aren't too long since they use cap nuts. If it's too long, you can't tighten it.

Zoe watch:

With the warmer weather, she shed her fleece, but the rain and dampness have her confined to her bunk. She doesn't mind walking in the rain and loves to swim, but doesn't much like being cold and wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers