18 November 2010

Last Night on Land

Well, it looks like this will be my last night on land, or as sailors like to say, on the hard. I got the plexiglass in today, as well as mounting a few other things, so there's really nothing else holding me back. I'll buy provisions tonight, and pull the cover tomorrow morning. After that, I'll start working on the mast. There's only a few more things to do, but all in all, I feel pretty good about it. Hopefully, they'll put me in tomorrow afternoon, and I'll head south early next week.

The plexiglass didn't go in as cleanly as I'd hoped, but after jury rigging some clamps out of paint stirrers, I was able to get them in. I was only able to glue in the panels today, so I'll have to wait until later to do the glazing. However, I think I'll need to find or make some sort of clips to hold the plexiglass panels in place. They're 40 years old, so I wasn't able to find right kind of weather stripping and they're currently only held in place by the caulk, which isn't really the best idea.

I haven't had a chance to stow all my tools yet, but will go ahead and buy the provisions anyway. I'll stack them in the cockpit for the time being, and stow both the tools and provisions at the same time. It's a little after 1830 now, so we'll take our walk first, and I'll head over to the supermarket later.

Bread watch:

I don't know how to cook -- at all -- but I'm about to take a crash course. Sure, I can make simple stuff, but, for example, I have no idea how to make bread, except that it requires yeast. Hopefully, there will be someone around to ask once I get to that aisle -- assuming I can even find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers