22 November 2010

Dockside

They stepped the mast today, so as soon as I get the winches mounted, I'll put on the boom and bend the sails. They also told me that I can stay on the dock until I'm ready to head south. That's great news, because I've still got a lot to do, and it's a heck of a lot easier to work on a boat tied up to the dock than one swinging on a mooring or anchor.

The biggest problem I've got right now are my bilge pumps. I'm taking on a little water through the stuffing box for the propeller shaft, but it's only a trickle -- about an inch a day. I'm going to take out the manual pump in the cockpit and clean it out. It must have sucked something up earlier this summer. The other pump is electric, and works, but I haven't had a chance to hook it up yet.

I'll try to fix the manual one tonight after we walk and eat. I don't think It'll be a big deal, but getting it apart was a little more trouble than I'd imagined. I may end up taking it back out completely, but I've got plenty of time. At this rate, it would take weeks to sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers