17 November 2010

Portlights and Stove

I got the portlights ready, and dry fitted the 2 forward ones. However, I had to epoxy in 4 small slivers of teak into the corroded channel so the screws would hold. They should be ready today.

The only remaining problem is that the frame leaves a 1/2" channel for the bulkhead when assembled, but the combined thickness of the outer deck and inner liner is only around 3/8" - 7/16". This leaves a small void for caulk, but it's really impossible to keep the void filled, especially a few inches out, which will cause the seal to break over time as the deck flexes.

To solve that, I'm going to get some closed foam and insert it into the void around the cutout before I put in the frame. While the portlights were dry fitted, I could press on the deck around them and open the edge around the frame. I'm sure this is why they always leaked. I've got some foam I can cut up, but might need to buy something more or less made for this purpose.

Stove watch:

I finally got the stove installed last night. It's functional, and looks okay, even with the plywood spacer, but the gimbal frame bumps into the ledge on the forward side -- she's mounted fore-and-aft on gimbals to keep her level when the boat's heeled -- when she swings more than about 15 degrees. The ledge holds a cutting board that hides the stove when not in use, so when I remount it, I'll fair it out 1/4" to clear the ledge, and replace the spacer on the other side with a panel that goes all the way down. This will make it look more professional and give me another storage area. I think I can bend the gimbal frame temporarily if necessary, but don't plan to touch it unless it becomes a problem.

Splash watch:

I hope I can go in Friday, but just in case, I'm going to buy all my provisions tonight. I think I can get the portlights in today, but may have to switch gears a bit and take care of a few things on the mast. I have to mount a bracket for my new radar reflector, and clean the kerosene off the turnbuckles. I'll wait to reeve the halyards until right before they step her, but I do need to modify one of my blocks. Hopefully, it won't take too long and I can get it done this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers