09 November 2010

Working Late

I got a lot done today, but with Friday looming, I'm going to try to finish up a few more things this evening. We just got back from our walk, so I'm going to take a short break first, then try to do a few things in the cockpit with the shop light.

I'd hoped to get the mast step, forward hatch hinges, chainplate covers, and stanchions done today, but fell a little short -- I never got to the stanchion bases. So this evening, I'm going to tape them along with the turning blocks, which sit on top of the 3" high teak blocks I glued the other day. I won't try to mount them, since that would involve removing the cockpit locker hatches and crawling inside, but at least they'll be ready first thing in the morning. Once they're on, I can reinstall the coamings.

If I can get all that done tomorrow, along with gluing bungs into the handrails and mast step, I'll be in really good shape. I've decided the portholes can wait until last since I could even do them after she's in the water. I'll probably leave the traveler for last as well, but still plan to get as much done as possible before Thursday night. It would be great if I could get it all done by them.

After I walk Zoe on Thursday, I'm going to go next door, buy provisions, and stow them on the boat. I imagine that will be another long night, but it's better than trying to get them on the boat after she's in the water. I'm right next door to the supermarket here, but once I'm in the water, I'll be on a mooring, and over a quarter mile away.

There are a few other little things I might do tonight, but mainly I want to make sure I don't have to waste any time tomorrow and can get the coamings in. Other things I could do tonight include remounting the instruments in the companionway bulkhead, hooking the anchor to the anchor chain and winching it onto the bow roller, and drilling back out various holes that got filled in when I was repairing the deck, e.g., 1 or 2 for the turning blocks, 2 for the traveler, 3 for the deck organizer, and all 5 for both jib winches and the coach roof winch. I have a cordless drill, but would still prefer to have all that done before she goes in -- recharging will be in issue.

Zoe watch:

She slept up in the peak most of the day today on some old canvas I'd been using to block the wind where the cover comes together at the bow. It was so nice, I pulled it back so she could see out if she wanted, and she curled up on it and went to sleep. It should be even nicer tomorrow, so I try to get a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers