03 November 2010

First Frost

We woke up to our first frost this morning. Zoe loved it, but I can't say I share her enthusiasm. We've had freeze warnings for the last couple of days, and the forecast calls for a low of 33 Saturday night, so I hope I'm in the water by then -- it's officially only gotten down to 36 so far. Otherwise, I may need to re-winterize the engine, but hopefully it won't come to that.

Boat watch:

I finished most of the toerail yesterday. All that's left is the port half of the transom. I didn't have enough clamps, or time, to fix that split when I fixed the one on the starboard side, so I've left that section for later. I'll work on it as soon as I get a chance, but it'll probably have to wait until I take off the cover. It's supposed to rain on Thursday, so I may leave the cover on and let the rain wash it, then take it off on Friday after it dries. (of course, this is all predicated on getting all/most of the hardware mounted, at least over the cabin)

I'm going to concentrate on the handrails (3 -- 2 of which are doubles), portholes (10), stanchion bases (2), mast step, and chainplate covers (7) today. I found the old bolts from the broken port side handrail, and will use 2 of the longer ones to replace the short ones on the starboard side. I have to make a new one for the port side anyway, so I'll just make it so that the shorter, by 1/2", bolts work. I'll do that once I get to Houston.

Zoe watch:

She's wearing her fleece pretty much all the time now. I kept her out in the sun most of the day yesterday, but since it's so cold today, I'll wait until this afternoon before deciding if she can go down there. She's sleeping now, so I don't think she really cares -- as long as she's warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers