27 August 2011

And So It Begins

The constant heavy rains associated with hurricanes has begun. I think I've prepared as well as possible, but this experience has certainly added a few things to my list.

First of all, I'd like more chain, and instead of one long continuous length, I think I'd prefer several 50' sections with swivels I can put together as needed. That would make it easy to store the chain in bags and distribute the weight. It would also make it easy to deploy multiple anchors with all chain rode.

The other big problem I have is a lack of enough chocks on the bow. (I just misspelled chocks -- easy to do on a constantly moving boat -- and my iPhone corrected it to "chicks." I guess that's true too, but right now I'd prefer the chocks.) I'd also like to add more cleats and pad eyes -- you never seem to have enough. I've tried tying off stuff to the chainplates, but that just makes them leak, so I won't do that again.

The police boat dropped by earlier to check on me. We had a real nice chat. They didn't seem to think I'd have a problem here and weren't concerned about my staying on the boat during the storm.

Zoe watch:

I let her swim for a long time yesterday and may take advantage of a lull, and let her swim again today. I want to make sure she gets a chance to exercise when she can, because pretty soon, she's not even going to want to go on deck. In fact, the rain just stopped, so I'm going to take her now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers