07 August 2011

Riding Sail

It was pretty windy again yesterday, so I decided to try putting up a riding sail. Riding sails help prevent sailboats at anchor from tacking back and forth in the wind. The reason they do this is that they tend to have a lot of windage forward of center, including high freeboard at the bow, and get blown from side to side. This is hard on both the anchor rode and the people down below.

I researched online and found that my storm jib is just about the right size, they recommend anywhere from 5-10% of total sail area, and my storm jib is about 12%. So I hanked it onto the backstay and hoisted it with my main halyard. I secured the tack to the stern pulpit and tried various points forward to sheet her.

It was gusting around 30, so it took a while to get it right, but I finally attached a block to the extra pad eye just aft of the mast, and another on the starboard genoa track and sheeted her to both of them. She settled right down at that point.

Without the riding sail, she would tack up to about 30 degrees or so to each side, but with it only about 5. It also made for a much nicer ride down below. However, she would heel a little whenever the wind would catch the other side of the sail. That probably indicates the sail's set too high. I'll play around with it, but may end up getting one made that's the right size and shape for my boat.

However, I do like the idea of getting some use out of my storm jib. It's original, and other than some rust stains, looks brand new -- I don't think she was ever used, and since she's a hank on and I have roller furling, I can't use her either.

Zoe watch:

She's had some issues the last few days -- perhaps she's getting used to a new brand of dog biscuits or swallowed too much sea water during her swims, I just don't know. She seems to have gotten better this afternoon, but since she's still reluctant to go at all, it might take a few days before I know for sure.

Also, since we go to the foredeck for training purposes, the bad weather has become an issue. Therefore, I decided to go ahead and put the netting back up. It'll make it slightly more difficult to adjust the rigging and non-skid the decks, but at least I won't have to worry quite so much when Zoe wakes me up in the middle of the night, and the wind's howling as we stumble forward in the dark.

I finished the port side and may start working on the starboard side once it cools off a little. However, I decided not to run it all the way around the stern pulpit this time. That would make it really difficult to get stuff in and out of the dinghy -- especially Zoe. I stopped at the last stanchion just aft of my main winches. That way it doesn't interfere with my turning blocks and jib sheets. I'll take some photos later so you can see what I mean.

That still gives Zoe about 6' where she can step over the coamings and jump off. Ever since I started taking her swimming she's been threatening to jump, mostly forward when she's whining and I'm trying to get her to go. She'll stand on the toerail with her front paws and lean out, so I've had to keep her on a leach. The netting should obviate that. Not sure what I'll do in lieu of netting around the cockpit, but whatever it is needs to be easily removable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers