14 August 2011

Collecting Rain Water

It started raining late last night and should continue for a while, so I've been collecting rain water to refill my tanks. I collected a little over a gallon a few days ago during a thunderstorm, but with the constant rain today, I'm collecting about a gallon an hour.

That's not much considering how much rain we're getting -- already several inches -- but without any sails up, all I've got to catch it are a few bowls, a medium size sauce pan, and the drip pan from the oven. At some point I need to setup a better system -- it's on the list -- but this will have to do for now.

I've already filled up one 5 gallon jug, though not completely, and started on the second. Once I get the riding sail up, I think it'll work pretty well too, but I also want a dedicated tarp ready, and some way to siphon water off the mainsail. You just need to let it rain a while to clean the sails before you start catching it. A bucket in the cockpit works well too, but I'm just going to use that water for washing. I normally use that bucket for getting salt water to rinse the decks, so it's not really clean -- the water here is a murky green, not too appetizing.

I might do some work in the cabin today, but with all the rain, I doubt I'll go on deck much. I'll probably just take it easy, collect water, and do some reading.

With all the rain, I'm lucky we don't have many leaks. I've tried not to mention them much lately since it seems like every time I write about how dry the boat is, I find a big leak later that day. The leaks now are still coming from the shot toerail that needs replacing, so there's little I can do other than tape up plastic bags to catch the water. But it's not much.

Saw an interesting video yesterday. It's called "Hold Fast" and is about a group of young people who refit an old boat and sail to the Bahamas. Here's the link:

http://m.boingboing.net/2010/11/05/hold-fast-a-document.html

Can't say I approve of some of their methods for acquiring parts, but it was entertaining and well worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers