24 August 2011

Moved to Better Anchorage

I went sailing again yesterday to check out the traveler shackle modification I made after the last sail and all went well. The wind died down a little after noon, so I sailed through the channel between the mooring fields and anchored on the other side near the Cove. It's much calmer here and better protected -- and most importantly, no ski boats.

Kieran dropped off my new riding sail this morning, so I'll try it out this afternoon. The wind's picking up and she's starting to hunt, so it should be a good test. I also dumped garbage and picked up 20 gallons of water while I was in. I was down to about 15 or so, most of which I'd collected during recent thunder storms. I need to go pick up some supplies later, so I'll probably bring along the water jugs and get another load -- bad weather might be on the way.

She holds around 70, so including the jugs, I can carry about 90 gallons total. I won't try to fill up completely, but I might as well fill up whenever I go in. Other than some gear for the boat, my biggest concern right now is stocking up on provisions. I'm down to oatmeal, rice, pasta, and some canned tuna.

Hopefully I can pick up some fishing gear too and start augmenting my stores with a bit of fresh fish. I'm going to try to find a Cuban yo-yo, which is just a large plastic disk used for hand fishing -- don't have room on board for rods and reels. In fact I've got way too much stuff on board as it is, mostly supplies for upcoming projects. I'll sure be glad when that's all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers