16 August 2011

Reefs

I've been working on my running rigging, and now need to sort out my reefing lines. Reefing is the process of reducing sail area. I have roller furling, so I can easily reduce my headsail size by pulling a line and rolling it up a bit. However, reducing the size of the mainsail involves lowering it a little and tying off the cringles to the boom to make the sail smaller.

My mainsail has two reef points with reinforced cringles that each reduce sail area by about 15%, and I have it setup for single line jiffy reefing with the reefing line run back to the cockpit. It seems to work okay, but I want to add a couple fairleads to the mast as well as a couple blocks to help better route the lines and reduce chafe.

I'd used a cheek block on one side of the boom and ran the other directly to a block on deck, but by moving the block to the mast and adding a fairlead on the other side, the line will be self adjusting when the boom moves back and forth as I adjust the sails.

So, now I need to figure out what I need, order it, and get it installed. I think I have most of what I need, but may be missing a few things. I'll also need to remove the solar panel, move the deck organizer, and remount them. I've just been waiting till I had a better idea of where it needed to go.

It's another rainy day, so I might work on a few things in the cabin as well. The list has grown to over 90 items with only 13 completed, but about 21 are of the "would be nice" variety, and most of them won't get done before I leave the area.

Sailing watch:

I'm planning to take a short sail tomorrow and check out a few things. I also want to move to a better anchorage away from the ski boats and closer to the dock. I may make a fuel and water stop on the way, but want to check my tanks first. I won't do that tomorrow if I don't have to.

Alternator watch:

I can't seem to keep the alternator belt tight. I've tightened it several times, and even switched to a shorter belt, but she still get loose after running for a while. I'm going to replace the lock washers today before trying again. Maybe that will help. If not, I may try locktight.

Zoe watch:

She seems to be fully acclimated to the boat now, but still won't go on her own. That's probably a good thing, since it allows me to rinse the deck right away, but it still seems a bit strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers