01 August 2011

Placed Order

I ordered the new batteries and voltage regulator today, along with a bunch of other stuff I needed, including a new boom vang, dock lines, fenders, and a new forward hatch -- I think the old one would have been unsafe on the ocean.

Since I no longer have an address, I'm having it all shipped to Kieran's house in Huntington. He said he'd bring everything over once it comes in -- hopefully later this week. Living without batteries is getting a bit tough.

As I mentioned in the last post, I had to start using my kerosene anchor light at night. The solar panel puts out enough to let me keep my phone charged and listen to the news on the radio, but otherwise the batteries just won't hold a charge and go dead pretty quickly once the sun goes down.

I can still start the engine if it's sunny and I let them charge for a while, but since I can't count on it, I'm resigned to stay here at anchor until I can replace them.

I'm beginning to run low on both water and food, so I'll probably have to take the dinghy in to get more water and do a bit of shopping tomorrow. I don't think I can wait till the new batteries come in, but with four 5 gallon jugs, I shouldn't have to do it more than once.

Zoe watch:

We try to swim at least once a day, usually twice, and Zoe loves it. I leave her life jacket hanging on the stern pulpit with the tether attached, so all I have to do is put it on her, climb down into the dinghy, then lift her off the deck and into the water. She immediate starts swimming toward shore and doesn't even seem to notice she stops moving as the tether gets tight. It reminds me of those endless pools you see advertised -- she just swims and swims, but doesn't go anywhere.

Of course, I get in and swim with her, but she pretty much ignores me. She's on a mission. After a few minutes, I'll get back in the dinghy, and she'll swim over so I can pull her out of the water and lift her back on deck. I guess it's sorta like going for a walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers