09 August 2011

Long List

I finished making up the list of projects I need to complete before heading south. It currently has 43 items. Some will take only a few minutes, but others might take a few days. I'll need to do a few of them before I can sail anywhere, but many would only be required for a longer offshore voyage.

The new forward hatch fits into this category. While I can secure the old one well enough for most coastal cruising, I wouldn't trust it at sea. A few other items also fit into this category, but most are more about preventative maintenance (PM). Those are typically the small, shorter tasks like putting on wire ties and checking belt tension, etc., but they tend to add up.

Lifeline watch:

As I mentioned before, I finished putting up the netting on the port side the other day, but after thinking about it, decided to redo it. I had planned to replace the lifelines as soon as the rigging went up, but with all the turmoil at the boatyard, didn't have time -- I needed to measure the old ones before I could order new ones, but needed the rigging up first.

After thinking about it a while that evening, I realized that I already had everything I needed on board and could use the wire left over from the rigging to make up both of them. When I ordered the rigging, I got each section a little long and cut it to size myself, but my first couple of tries attaching the sta-lok fittings was unsuccessful, so I ruined the extra wire I'd gotten as well as my new backstay. I eventually got the hang of it and ordered a new backstay -- cost of tuition, just over $100, but much better than if I'd had a rigger do it for me.

Anyway, I had two perfectly good 1/4" wires coiled up in a locker, and as luck would have it, I also had two extra sta-lok fittings -- I'd bought a spare and didn't need the one for the forestay since it already had one. So, I spent yesterday removing the netting from the port side and replacing both lifelines. I even had time to redo the port side netting before it got dark. Actually, I finished in the moonlight. I'll do the starboard side as soon as I finish this post (that's one of the 43 items on this mornings list).

Zoe watch:

She likes to sleep on the coach roof in the shade of the mast or boom during the day, and on the foredeck in the late afternoon and evening -- I sorta like hanging out there myself -- so I'll feel a lot better once the netting is up, and even better one the non-skid is on.

She really hates thunderstorms, and has found a way to crawl up and hide in a bunch of gear stacked on the settee around my table. I guess it's as safe there as anywhere, but once she's there, she can't get out so I have to pick her up to free her. Well, she could get out if she really wanted.

We had another bad one late yesterday afternoon. It pushed us around a bit, but once the wind died down, I went out and took a shower in it and washed out one of my shirts -- Zoe stayed down below.

Riding sail watch:

I took down the storm jib last night after the big thunderstorm rolled through. I don't think it was a severe one, but it was violent enough that we heeled over quite a bit as the wind shifted back and forth. The jib's just too big and too high for strong winds like that. And since the forecast is for more of the same each evening, I decided not to take a chance -- I don't want to blow it out, or scare Zoe. I'll look into ordering one this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers