26 August 2011

Re-anchored for Irene

I guess it wouldn't be fun if everything went off without a hitch. Needless to say, we've been having fun this afternoon. Luckily there wasn't too much wind, but since it was against the tide, I had trouble placing and setting the anchors. Normally, you drop one, set it, then put out some scope, motor over and drop the second, set it, then adjust both of them, but I lost the transmission again setting the first one.

I went ahead and anchored without an engine, but couldn't set either one. The problem turned out to be the coupling nut. I had reinstalled the transmission before I put it back on, and that turned out to be a mistake. You have to tap the flange on the edge of the nut to pin it, but since it's so tight down there, I had a hard time swinging a hammer. Guess I didn't pin it well enough.

I'm going to try to work on it tonight while the weather's good, but the sun's already gone down, so that might be a problem. The morning looks like it'll be alright, but things should start to deteriorate by early afternoon.

I don't need an engine during the hurricane, couldn't move anyway, but it would be nice to set and adjust my anchors. Luckily I've got a captive prop, or I could have had a serious problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers